How SMEs can benefit from Human Reliability Assessments
Anticipating and preventing unsafe acts can save businesses a great deal of cost and lost time, and can save individuals from severe injury or worse.
Smaller businesses proportionally have a high exposure in terms of business risk (financial, legal and reputation) from unsafe acts, which is one reason why Guildford Ergonomics has a specific aim of helping SMEs in this area.
Some typical examples of unsafe acts in SMEs and across broader industry include:
- Not isolating machinery before servicing and cleaning
- Failure to wear correct PPE
- Use of incorrect or poorly maintained tools and devices
- Leaving unsafe situations without fixing or reporting them
- Failing to use equipment provided to make jobs safer (e.g. handling aids)
- Working at height without taking necessary precautions
Guildford Ergonomics is especially committed to working with SMEs as well as larger organisations on foreseeability of unsafe acts. We have specialist tools specifically aimed at helping SMEs. These proactively identify underlying factors that could shape negative behaviours such as risk taking and procedure violations. We will then work with you to manage underlying factors and put in place risk reduction measures.